Buy me an espresso

November 5, 2007

A Collection of Questions and SOLID Answers:

Q: What is the easiest way to get started with SharePoint 2007?
A: There is no substitute for hands on experience. Microsoft now offers VHDs (Virtual Hard Disk) that work with Virtual PC or Virtual Server. They are nothing more than a preinstalled version of Windows Server 2003 R2 (for example).

If you are an administrator I recommend using the Windows 2k3 R2 VHD and installing SharePoint from scratch.

If you are a developer I recommend the SharePoint 2007 VHD.

Q: What accounts do I need to setup/create for WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007?
A: 1) MSDN, 2) CJ's Blog, 3) harbar

Q: How should I setup my development environment?
A: MVN solution

Q: How do I migrate or backup and restore from one server to another?
A: 1) MSDN, MSDN (STSADM), More STSADM

Q: How do I change Database Servers?
A: 1) STSADM: stsadm -o renameserver -oldservername -newservername
  • Do not expect this to work flawlessly. I recommend extensive testing through CA, backups, deployment, and the site collection.
2) GUI

Q: How do I install SharePoint 2007?
A: Stand Alone OR Complete

Q: How do I install and configure Reporting Services?
A: 1) MDSN, 2) Mike's Blog

Q: How do I setup content deployment from one server to another?
A: 1) Content Deployment Topology, 2) Content Deployment Explained, 3) Jackie Bodine's Blog - Step by Step instructions

Q: Why do I receive a "Failed to compare two elements in the array" error message when running a content deployment?
A: It's all about the features ... 1) Steven Van de Craen's Blog, 2) Soren Nielsen's Blog

Q: How do I turn off MySites?
A: Aaron Sailkovski's Blog

Q: Why are my RSS feeds not showing up?
A: Tales From The Field

Q: How do I create and deploy a custom web part?
A: Lee Dale's Blog

Q: How do I hide elements of the Document Library toolbar?
A: 1) Dipper Park's Blog

Q: How do I uninstall a feature?
A: stsadm -o uninstallfeature id=[GUID or ID of feature]

Q: How do I create and deploy a custom user control?
A: Eric Stallworth

Q: How do I create an application inside the SharePoint site?
A: MSDN

Q: How do I create a customize styles and themes?
A: (Short answer) I would highly recommend using some type of skinner like this one. Heather Solomon also has a fantastic reference chart.

Q: How do I customize the Application.Master page?
A: Sridhar's Blog, MSDN

Q: How do I customize the Quick Launch menu?
A: MS Team Blog

No comments: